Monday, February 23, 2009

Comp news

On Saturday the 21st of Feb myself and Matt, my new recruit went up to Mannum to compete. Matt was in the 82.5 kg class and I was in the 75. I weighed in at 71.6 a little lighter than expected. I had a day to forget, I was nursing a couple of tender spots and I let that distract me and lost focus.
When your under the bar the niggles go away, it's the mind that needs to be on the job. I lost my balance and failed my first lift @ 170kg, Got it the next time but should have gone up, and on the last lift 185 I got a red light for depth. I was hoping to lift a lot more, and the weight shot up so there was plenty more under the bonnet. Back to the drawing board. Matt did well and squatted a 170 at his first meet,, then a 105 bench and a monstrous 220 deadlift and still had plenty in the tank. I hit a 125 bench and a 190 deadlift and retired early with a 485 total, to save myself for another day.
Matt has qualified for the junior nationals in April with a 495 total, and the state titles will be on at the end of May. There is a lot of work to be done between now and then. The standard was up at this comp in weight classes and overall. The experience was good, learning to embrace defeat and use it for motivation. Looking forward to getting under the bar and being ready for the next challenge. Hopefully will find some more enthusiastic recruits, and have a strong team!

No comments: