Thursday, November 27, 2008

Volume v Intensity

How long does your workout take? Now if you spend 90 minutes on one body part, you may want to think about your intensity. The volume of work may be high, but the higher the volume the lower the intensity. This goes both ways, all out for one set is intense, but is the volume high enough?
Many advocate this HIT training and have had good results, that said anything will work for a little while (10 pie and chips a day diet?), well almost. The body will adapt to any stimulas eventually, so always use some form of progression.

I train fairly briskly at the moment and tend to keep my sets and number of exercises moderately low. This is two fold, 1 I want an intense workout so I use 3 work sets if reps are higher 8+, but more sets and reps when my rep range is low. 2 I can keep my workouts short and spend more time bringing up weaknesses (flexibility etc...)
For weight loss the intensity wants to be high, this doesn't neccessarily mean no rest, you can vary the load, speed of movement or rest. If you sacrifice rest, you potentially sacrifice the load you can lift.
The main point I am trying to put across is, for every positive action with a training program/workout there is always a negative.
What does this mean?

That on your next plan you address the negative points and bring them up, and so it continues! This will reduce the likelihood of injury and increase performance.

Eat well and train hard

No comments: